Thursday, September 23, 2010

(B)alencia, HERE WE ARE!

As Xak warned, the piso (apartment) hunt has indeed been the most challenging process of our (despite the fact that it has been short lived) experience. We are all a bit emotional, to say the least. The four of us anticipated living together. We planned all summer. Margaux did an excessive amount of research on the city of Valencia. We found prospective pisos, but it really does not seem to be working in our favor. This is just another reminder that nothing really ever goes as planned

Positivity is KEY here, which reminds me of that quote PLASTERED on my wall since around Kindergarten (Mom):

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”
- Charles R. Swindoll

Let’s start from the beginning. I will be as succinct as possible because, quite frankly, I am exhausted. (Nevertheless, this is “critical experiential training”, according to DTO, UCONN). I do not think I will ever forget this experience – in its entirety.
Yesterday morning, we were out the door by 10:45 AM  with over 12 items (carry-ons, luggage, violins, etc.). We filled one taxi with luggage (and myself) and managed to fit 3 of us in the other. It would have been a great photo. The four hour bus ride wasn’t as bad. The hardest part was getting all of the luggage ON and OFF the bus. The girls have FABULOUS attitudes. I truly enjoy being around them; particularly when faced with rude cab drivers (our experience with taxi drivers in Madrid was far superior to that in Valencia. Hopefully, they were just having a bad day!) But I must reiterate, complete cultural immersion is the BEST way to learn and/or tweak language skills. I had a conversation with a sweet professor from Panama for 3½ hours on the way to Valencia!
As I prefaced, yesterday was nothing compared to today (re: stress levels). We were out the door by 9 AM; Went to the adjacent café for tostadas y café and we were off to Valencia for the day. We passed at least 6 hours taking photos of signs to aquilar (rent), calling prospective landlords, while of course exploring the beauty that is Valencia in the process. I definitely like Valencia more than Madrid (aesthetically). There is such a historical, Mediterranean feeling to it! I just hope there are salsa clubs like the one we stopped in on our second night of Orientation (see second photo album). 

(Yet again,) I digress…
In any case, by the 5th hour (despite consuming an entire bag of fruit, another tostada, a few sodas), our energy sources (and perhaps even our optimism levels) were beginning to deplete. We searched some more, but unfortunately did not find much. At some point, we split up and I opened up my bank account! “Raf”, the bank rep, is a stupendous guy. Very patient. I ultimately lost Margaux and we searched for each other in the city (emotionally drained from all of our searches and disappointments) for 3 hours! Just what we needed. I’ll spare you the details.
This is one of the most common banks in Valencia. Quite convenient! Highly recommended.

By the end of the day, we all realized that finding an apartment with 4 people at an affordable price in the city is not easy. We have decided to split up (2/2, 1/3, 1/2/1, 1/1/1/1; these are all possible combinations). We’ll see what happens. 
On a good note: I am planning to visit my “Uncle” Mauro in Switzerland in the winter. I must purchase my tickets very soon. I am also going to sit down to plan my other trips (mi prima Diana in Italy, France, Portugal, etc.). I know Melitza (my new friend) has invited me on a cruise to Egypt, but I have to check with my school and must also work out the whole budget thing once I find housing.

Luz al final del túnel 9/10/2010
Today wasn’t that bad (I don’t think). I found the apartment I am pretty sure I would like to get (Paco, our prospective landowner, is really great). The price is right and the location is where I want it to be. It is a 4 bedroom (although one of the rooms is subpar, relative to the other; but I’ll figure it out). We are all stressing. I am looking into visiting family friends this weekend. Maybe it’ll work out with them (they are also alquilando), too. I am keeping my options open.
Side note(s): Chelsea made an amazing Spanish Tortilla (kind of looks like quiche).
Here I am with Margaux and our very own Martha Stewart (Chelsea)

Nora & Margaux purchased THE MOST POTENT white wine (for 1 Euro!). The fruit here is AMAZING and less expensive if purchased at fruterias (fruit markets/stands on any given street).

One of my favorite fruiterias in Benimaclet
Time to read a bit and upload a ridiculous amount of photos!


9/11/2010
Today was fantastic! I am still stressing about the housing situation, but I have a feeling it will work itself out quite nicely. I found a few nice places within the last few days. I shared them with the girls and they seem to like one in particular. They did not see this one place today, though. It is in such a GREAT area in Valencia (Plaza Xuquer) and it is a decent price, too. We really like Paco’s piso, however. So, I guess the four of us are staying together (under the condition that we continue having weekly, biweekly dinners with local Spaniards. Great opportunity for language exchange or intercambio) It has been confirmed. Benimaclet.  Finally :-)
My flatmates and fellow grantees: Margaux, Nora and Chelsea

After I went to visit a family friend and her lovely family for a few hours, I returned home to get ready for an evening that had been planned plenty of days in advance. We were to have dinner at a new friend’s house. It was SO MUCH FUN. The Menu: Potato Chips, Pistachios, Pizza and Wine. Interesting! The guys are great. We laughed so hard. The opportunity to practice our Spanish (not the South American variety, but the European) was invaluable. The guys would correct me if I used the “wrong” (non-colloquial) term; they had no qualms simply burst out laughing whenever I say something seemingly absurd (obviously unintentional). I noticed today that There aren’t as many Americans as there are Erasmus students (http://www.esn.org/). It is interesting because in Sevilla, Barcelona and Madrid there seems to be more of an American presence. I prefer it this way, personally. It will take me a little while to pick up colloquialisms, but we’ll get it down. So, yes, the girls decided to go to the beach all day; I went on a 2 hour tour with our new Superwoman crony, Yasmin (I swear this girl is NOT human. Her credentials are exhaustive and she is VERY MUCH interested in Teach For America, which is exciting on so many levels. Refer to www.TeachForAmerica.org). Her personal tour was phenomenal. She knows so much about the city of Valencia; in fact, she offers personal tours to people who visit (and can do it in under an hour). She makes sure to hit all of the key spots in the center (the only problem is that it is impossible to touch everything in such a short period of time. There is sooo much history in this province). If you ever visit Valencia, you should check out this site Margaux’s boyfriend found earlier this summer. He is a gem: http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/europe/spain/valencia/overview.html?WT.z_gsac=1.

Ah Yes, back to my tour experience. I met Yasmin early in the morning (Apparently 10 AM is early for Saturday). It was so relaxing walking on Calle Primado Reig in the morning with that warm sun hitting my face. J Trust me, I needed it. I soon learned that she was offering accommodation to three WORLD TRAVELERS. For those of you who have not heard of Couch Surfing, please look into it (www.couchsurfing.org). It is absolutely fantastic and I am considering looking into it. Yasmin is making a video featuring her experiences both couch surfing on her own and offering a couch to traveling youth (serving as a host). This is the most interesting of cases (the 3 Frenchmen): These 3 gentlemen (it took me forever to get the pronunciation down for Berteand, but I got it! Yasmin even got it on video!) , well they have deliberately planned (at the ripe ages of 25, 25 and 23) TO TRAVEL THE WORLD. 
Our New Friends. YOU GO, BOYS!
No… LITERALLY travel the world in 3 years. ALL of their belongings accompany them in backpacks ON THEIR BIKES. It is AMAZING. (You will see them in my photos). They worked for an entire year and found sponsors to support this endeavor; they ultimately raised more than 20,000 Euro to fund this trip. I can’t believe they did it. I definitely hope you take the time to check out their official website: www.solidream.net. So yes, these three were SUPER CHULO. Very respectful and so curious! Really admirable qualities. We went to one of my favorite places: Mercado Central (http://www.mercadocentralvalencia.es/): can you say fresh, delicious food at phenomenal prices? It is crazy busy AT ALL TIMES. I FINALLY found feta cheese and the best fried almonds (almuendras)! At the Mercado central, We picked up lunch (probably saved 8 Euro. No complaints here, hombre). It is so nice that Chelsea and Margaux love to cook, too! Valenciano Cooking course, here we come. I CAN NOT WAIT TO SETTLE INTO OUR PISO so we can start game planning (Museums, courses, activities for the students, traveling, etc.) Thank you, Nora, for creating a budget sheet :-).  Nice and easy, as Professor Sabatelli always says (I MISS THIS INDIVIDUAL, Department Head of Human Development Family Studies).

9/14/2010

So today was great, overall. I successfully picked up money (despite the fact that my debit card was not yet ready for pick up), so I was able to pay Paco (our landlord) for my share of the rent. I have decided to take the least appealing bedroom of the three. It is in the corner of the apartment, rather isolated from the rest of the piso; My window faces the interior side of another complex. “Yummy”, as Margaux commonly says. I will make it great, nevertheless.
CEIP EL BARRANQUET, GODELLA
And on to my surprise visit to CEIP: El Barranquet. (They have their own blogspot. It is in Valenciano. Your best bet is dominating the photo albums, my loves! http://elbarranquet.blogspot.com/) This is the awesome pueblo that I am working at this year! Every one is absolutely PHENOMENAL thus far. Great first impressions. I hope to learn a great deal of Valenciano (very similar to French) during my stay. They even taught me a few words (I already know bon profit. Thanks, Xak). I get my schedule on Wednesday (my first official day!). Yes, this definitely feels right. This is certainly where I want to be.

I met some really sweet people today: a lovely woman (Pepa), a Spanish actress and ballerina; a sweet young man from Iran who works at the Locutorio next door. He loves English. We’ll all go for coffee soon. I also plan on doing several things with Yasmin (I think I’ve met someone with more energy than I do!) I also spent an hour or so with my friends Eric and Mieria. I will be offering English lessons to Mieria (and another engineer) once a week for a few hours, which is exciting. VERY EXCITING.
Meet Mireia and her boyfriend, Eric!


My First Official Day: El Barranquet 9/15/2010

So today went pretty well! I admit it was the smartest thing I could have done visiting my school before the first official day. I had a relative idea of where I was going and I felt more comfortable with the staff (They are so sweet!). The students (PreK-6) are super chulo. They flock around me as if I were from another planet; Non-native English speakers in elementary school screaming phrase they’ve managed to memorize. i.e. “Hello, How are you?” “I am fine, thank you”, and “My name is…” Really is the cutest thing EVER. (I noted that the class sizes are much smaller those in the American schools I’m accustomed to: 15-18 versus 30).

 I was able to work with an class of Kindergarteners today for an entire period. We sang the ABC’s multiple times and did introductions around the classroom, “My name is…”. I wish you were all there! The teacher only speaks Valenciano, obviously foreign to me, so she is teaching me a few things, which is great. Indeed, Everything is (understandably so) a bit foreign to me, but I think I will get the hang of it soon enough. In sum, I am basically the assistant to the English teacher 50% of the time and the other 50% I will be teaching English! What an honor, no?

I spent the day with a fellow Fulbrighter, Katie Rose, yesterday. We went to CIEN MONTADITOS (great food & cost effective/barrato!) We ran around the city for a few hours, trying to find my bank, slippers, yoga mats, clothes and the metro station. I got to see her host family’s home – RIVETING! The kids (< 5 yeas of age) each have their own bathrooms; as does Katie! Oh, the life of wealthy Spaniards! She baby sits the kids 3 hours a day and has the rest of the day for work and whatever it is she would like to do! She persuaded me into pursuing yoga once per week. My new Professor crony (Melitza from Panama) is looking into Salsa and Cooking classes for me.
What else is new? Oh yes, this Sunday I hope to participate in a REALLY Cool Annual Event in Valencia: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deportevalencia.com%2Fnoticias-detalle.php%3Fid%3D1484. I am excited!

Side note: the graffiti here is absolutely fabulous. FABULOUS. I never thought I would say this. Take a gander at some of this work: http://www.google.es/images?hl=es&q=graffiti+in+valencia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=547 . I really don’t think the pictures do them justice, but please take my word for it! Some are simply magnificent!

Caliente, Alicante 9/20/2010

The past week has FLOWN by. So much is happening. I am slowly but surely getting into the swing of things at my school, we are finally starting to settle into the apartment and we continue completing several tasks required of grant recipients (a bit stressful, but hey it needs to be done); I’m also trying to get in touch with friends and family who I’ve kind of neglected the past month.

This weekend we stayed in Alicante. It was absolutely amazing: the 2.5 hour bus ride was definitely worth it! The beach was HERMOSA. We spent the entire day (trust me, after the past few weeks, it was well deserved) at the beach (There was literally a sign at the beach entrance that said No Masajes, No Massages); the girls went out for tapas later on in the evening while I caught up on some e-mails and ticket searching (trips during the year). I also spent a considerable amount of time reading a book that several good friends have recommended to me: “The Gift of Fear”. This should make you select few happy! I hope that this stuff sticks at the end of the day. Seriously.


On the second day in Alicante, we went to CASTILLO DE SANTA BARBARA early in the morning. It is indeed breathtaking (both the walk up and the scenery)! I could not believe how incredible the weather was. I met a sweet couple from the UK, who offered to give us a personal tour if we were ever to stop in.
The Majestic View atop El Castillo de Santa Barbara
Some Exciting news: I have found Tahini in Spain! So exciting. Along with Hummus. These items, along with organic peanut butter, are nearly nonexistent in this gorgeous country. So, Yes, I am excited.

Hasta pronto, mi vidas.

No comments:

Post a Comment