Saturday, December 18, 2010

My (All too brief) Trip to my Beloved EEUU


10/17

I’ve been hitching a ride with Mar (Sea), one of Barranquet’s three Preschool teachers (maestras de infantil), the past few weeks. She is saving me quite a bit in transportation costs! When I tell her she is an angel, she simply replies with "Si, caído del cielo" (Yes, fallen from the sky). Mar is so sweet and a really great teacher!
She is only 24 years old and has teaching down PAT. I hope that I, too, will be this fabulous when I have my own classroom of 3 to 5 year olds (X = 40) – pardon me as a I slightly hyperventilate.

A few days ago, I witnessed what may be one of the most hilarious AND awe-inspiring conversations between several second graders. For a quarter hour, they literally spoke of the past, present and the future; debating over what they inherently…ARE. They agreed to disagree, although my buddy Pau (Pablo in Castellano) adamantly believes that the past is the present which is the future. I’m not sure how else to describe their behavior, but I feel as if my students (even some first graders!) act like little adults (most of the time!) Seriously. Fascinating!


12/10/2010

The Week of December 3rd. A (much too) Brief Return to the Homeland
                                                                                                                    
I will ask this again in the near future: Why am I so lucky sometimes? I could not believe I left Valencia (Thursday evening) before the STRIKE (Friday)! One of my coworkers, Raf, lost his flight to Istanbul! Chels was not able to travel to Bilbao to visit her friend. Que lastima.


Ms. Spurka
Simone The Sweetheart

29 hours to the US. Yes, that’s right. I saved a few hundred Euros, but certainly felt the repercussions. Nevertheless, I bumped into fellow Fulbrighter, Ms. Spurka and new Italian friend, Simone (Such a sweetheart!

I found it interesting that his father is a Gynecologist. I have such respect for this profession. It is not easy, I gather), in the Valencia airport on my way to Barcelona (first layover…) This was a treat! I met an extremely nice individual from Mallorca, traveling on business. 

What a philosophical man! I could hear him talk for hours – in all seriousness!

The night in Barcelona was rather brutal. I (understandably) did not sleep much. It is rather uncomfortable sitting Indian style on a cold hard floor for 7 hours. Fortunately, my layover in Zurich, Swizerland (#2) wasn’t as bad. I made a new friend! Florian (Flo) from Germany, who was on his way to Rome for the weekend!Celosa!
Mr. Florian
The flight to JFK was even more pleasant! I bonded with Judith, another new friend who is enrolled at Virginia Tech (born in Indonesia. We hope to travel to Bali together someday. She’s never been! Can you believe that?). She studied in Switzerland for a semester! Sweet.

I was a bit nervous to come home. I’m not quite sure why, but for sure I was BREATHLESS when we landed in JFK. The lights. The cold air. The unremitting chaos that is the Big Apple. I was moved to tears (embarrassing). 

So yes, longest 29 hours of my life (particularly with no power converter, wifi connection, cell or inflatable bed). But SO worth it!

Oh my gosh, have these past 7 days just FLOWN BY. What else is new. Simply just not enough time. I say this out of risk of appearing rather corny, but It’s been such a treat being able to feel my loved ones’ presence. Sure, Skype, gchat and facebook chatting suffices (hey, it is better than nothing), but really – nothing beats the real thing! While I did not get to see HALF the people I wish I could have, I am forever grateful for the opportunity to have at least passed time with those whom I did.

What I’ve missed:
  • Family, Friends – a given!
  • SNOW (Surprise, Surprise)
  • Stores open on SUNDAY. Stores open between 2 and 5 PM!! (No siesta) Capitalist economy that is you, America, [ooo..as horrible as it sounds] I missed you a bit.
  • Driving in the car with Mom.
  • The SMELL and FEEL of my HOME.
  • Being able to HUG the family and friends.
  • Finally!!!! Being able to take a hot shower for > 5 minutes.
  • All the Grapefruit, Greek Yogurt, Almond Milk and organic peanut butter I can eat!

I certainly realized that people are much more direct in their communications in Spain. No beating around the bush. Some in my country may perceive it as rude, but I view it as a rather utile tool in many cases. Tact is important, too, however.

I can’t believe how much I accomplished in 7 days!

My Ironman
(UConn alum, current PCOM Med student, future Doctor and Lobbyist. my best friend, JBKerzer). “Dericious” food. I loved contributing to your impeccable presentation about Sickle Cell Disease.
Michelle* Spent a night with my blossoming sister in Brooklyn Heights
My International Consultant of a Sister, age 21 (The Big Deal)
Ate the most delicious meal at a lovely vegetarian restaurant, Ginger, in Brooklyn Heights. (21st!) birthday girl – still can’t believe I missed the festivities and landed a KILLER job with Capgemini!
Family* I’m not going to lie. I visited Abuela twice in three days. What can I say? Inocencia’s my girl. My mother and Abuela organized and hosted (respectively) an amazing dinner get-together at Abuela’s house the day before I left. 
I was so happy that they all made time to come see me on a weekday during such a busy time of year. How fortunate am I? It was rather emotional for me, particularly because I haven’t seen these BEAUTIFUL people, who I was accustomed to seeing several times a month, in over 4 months. It was so nice being able to bond with my aunts and awe-inspiring cousins, Kayla and Elisa, even if for a few hours. I am SO proud of you girls (as if I haven’t said it enough). I even have time to squeeze in a lunch date with my Godmother, Awilda
 I got to see Lucy and Tio Perfecto (visiting from Puerto Rico!! Lucky I caught them!)
K-5 and College Bound Represent. My girls, Andy and Carla
Special Breakfast the DAY of departure with Andy and Carlita. Oh yes, and It was so nice bonding with My Mish Zaj for a few hours!
Thanks Mamadukes for accompanying me while I ran around like a chicken with out a head (Dentist, Eye Doctor, Store and Store) Now..PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR – schedule that massage NOW.
Thanks Papibueno for cooking and packing with such finesse. I have NOT the slightest idea how you were able to fit everything into two 50 pound suitcases (Quite a bit of shopping, indeed).
So yes, (contrary to my initial thought process) I ultimately elected to treat myself to a MUCH needed pampering session (29 hours of traveling will do it to ya. I didn’t even want to think about the trip back. Layovers NEVER again): Manicure, Pedicure, a lovely hair appointment with our beloved Elisa, among others things. Why am I so fortunate?

No comments:

Post a Comment