A few months ago, Chelsea and I decided to book a trip to Bologna to visit our dear friend, Francesco, and freshly acquired clan of Bologna Cronies. I couldn't be more pleased with this decision.
Talk about a brilliant way to kick off Spring. As if Fallas weren't spectacular enough. I am CERTAIN that this trip was my 23rd Birthday Gift in disguise. I can’t even describe how wonderful it was to feel the warmth evoked by genuine “family bonding” again [Well, for an extended period of time]
I apologize for being redundant in the upcoming line; but the Serafino clan are the most generous, charismatic, loving, hysterical, lively and simply good natured people.
We always have a great time with Francesco and his seemingly inexhaustible number of friends. We went to an interesting bar one night. I was ITCHING for a hot tea, but I abstained. I made a few new friends; Francesco & Co. how many friends do you have anyway? I feel like we are always meeting someone new – on the street walking to the pub, in the pub, at the concert, what have you.
Francesco and his girlfriend Chiara, accompanied us on a lovely tour of Bologna, [It was even better a second time] whilst PATIENTLY teaching us some new Italian vocabulary. I think Chelsea has fallen in love with yet another language.
After a day of practicing, committing way too many phonetic errors, and attempting to develop helpful learning aids: Chelsea and I FINALLY learned a few basic words i.e. SINISTRA (left), DESTRA (right), and dritto (straight on); I LOVE the way "Bene, Bene" sounds (Vale, Vale or Ok. Ok/Very Good, then).
Gosh. Those few days were ALL so lovely. One of my favorite memories of the weekend definitely involved being sprawled across the grass of a beautiful and quite populated park near the center.
Apparently, I'm not the only cool/noteworthy person with crazy hair.
About one month ago, Francesco invited us to "a concert". I mean, why not? I acquiesced. I didn’t know what to expect exactly, but I was pleasantly surprised.
The group: CAPAREZZA.
(You can Google Translate it, as well. At least check out the photos!)
Genre: ITALIAN RAP!
CONTENT: Life and Politics in Italy.
Italian rap is AWESOME, in spite of the fact that I had not the slightest clue what was being said. Chelsea even video recorded one of our favorites (the only word I honestly know is "Legalize"). It's a catchy song!
I was grateful that Francesco and Chiara donated a few stanzas of their favorite songs [judging from Francesco's ability to cite almost very word verbatim, I deduced that he clearly enjoys this group] to explain the underlying political/social meaning.
The ‘After party’, [I’m actually not quite sure how to coin the post-concert experience] was hysterical. Francesco, you sneaky man. I was wondering why we were waiting around after the concert ended.
Yes, within an hour of the concert’s finale, we were pleasantly surprised to see some of the boys and a few new faces. Again, we had a BLAST. Period.
Onto a few of my new FAVORITE people:
MARCHELLO! Quite possibly one of the finest hosts and greatest Cooks I’ve encountered yet. It was a bit uncanny: he reminds me so much of my dad!
I CHALLENGE any one to a cook-off with this man.
The man would not let us help with anything. I felt terrible.
Oh, and don’t get me started on how hilarious Franny’s mom is! What a fun woman!
Per usual, I couldn't help but take pictures of EVERYTHING. I'll spare you with regard to my new - and very appropriate - nickname in the Serafino home.
Now, let’s talk about Saint Chiara (featured above several times), our very own ANGEL on Earth. Francesco, where did you find this one? In a nutshell, our newfound Italian chum is a piece of heaven on Earth. Thanks for sharing, Francesco. Though, you aren’t so bad yourself. I'm actually planning a trip to Venice in late May to visit for the weekend! This is how much I adore these people. Simply can not get enough, I tell you!
Chelsea Dixon Quotes:
"We said our sad goodbyes, and it's possible we may have cried in the middle of the airport."
Literally 5 minutes after bidding farewell: "Let's book our next flight the MINUTE we get home."
I apologize for being redundant in the upcoming line; but the Serafino clan are the most generous, charismatic, loving, hysterical, lively and simply good natured people.
| Franny and the girls in front of the beautiful San Luca |
Who's Franny? "Un Pan de Vida". That's exactly what he is. Francesco is a charming, simpatico chico; A former Erasmus student, living in Valencia. He's certainly evolved into 'the brother I never had' within the tremendously short period of time we’ve known one another.
![]() |
| Sandro, The Italian Don Juan |
| Just a FEW of our Bologna amigos. ALWAYS an interesting experience with these people |
| San Luca was BEAUTIFUL. A 20 minute HIKE from Francesco's neighborhood apparently. "That's not Bologna, Chelsea...THAT'S Bologna" |
| San Luca |
Gosh. Those few days were ALL so lovely. One of my favorite memories of the weekend definitely involved being sprawled across the grass of a beautiful and quite populated park near the center.
Apparently, I'm not the only cool/noteworthy person with crazy hair.
![]() |
| This would be the crazy haired lead singer, Michele Salvemini (I think we resemble one another, don't you?) |
| YES, INDEED! Concert #2 since I've been in Europe! Chelsea, Francesco, Chiara and myself. |
The group: CAPAREZZA.
(You can Google Translate it, as well. At least check out the photos!)
Genre: ITALIAN RAP!
CONTENT: Life and Politics in Italy.
Italian rap is AWESOME, in spite of the fact that I had not the slightest clue what was being said. Chelsea even video recorded one of our favorites (the only word I honestly know is "Legalize"). It's a catchy song!
I was grateful that Francesco and Chiara donated a few stanzas of their favorite songs [judging from Francesco's ability to cite almost very word verbatim, I deduced that he clearly enjoys this group] to explain the underlying political/social meaning.
The ‘After party’, [I’m actually not quite sure how to coin the post-concert experience] was hysterical. Francesco, you sneaky man. I was wondering why we were waiting around after the concert ended.
| Always meeting new people (well, except Matteo!) |
Onto a few of my new FAVORITE people:
I CHALLENGE any one to a cook-off with this man.
The man would not let us help with anything. I felt terrible.
Oh, and don’t get me started on how hilarious Franny’s mom is! What a fun woman!
| She's hysterical! ABSOLUTELY brilliant. |
| Hands down, BEST SWORDFISH preparer goes to Mr. Serafino. |
Per usual, I couldn't help but take pictures of EVERYTHING. I'll spare you with regard to my new - and very appropriate - nickname in the Serafino home.
Now, let’s talk about Saint Chiara (featured above several times), our very own ANGEL on Earth. Francesco, where did you find this one? In a nutshell, our newfound Italian chum is a piece of heaven on Earth. Thanks for sharing, Francesco. Though, you aren’t so bad yourself. I'm actually planning a trip to Venice in late May to visit for the weekend! This is how much I adore these people. Simply can not get enough, I tell you!
As you can imagine, it was a slightly disheartening departure. I did not want it to end, but am so very thankful for the opportunity to experience the beauty of Bologna once again!
"We said our sad goodbyes, and it's possible we may have cried in the middle of the airport."
Literally 5 minutes after bidding farewell: "Let's book our next flight the MINUTE we get home."


No comments:
Post a Comment