I feel so very safe here. Walking the streets at 11:30 PM. The weather is still absolutely amazing. I actually tripped over a few cracks while staring up at the sky. I cannot believe I am actually living in this place. It’s fantastic: people eat dinner here at 10 PM or later! There are outdoor cafés everywhere. Speaking of dining, I am still getting used to the schedules here. (See http://www.whatalicante.com/about-food-eating-customs.html).
Side notes:
Interesting quote I stumbled upon while reading Gift of Fear (on the metro between work and home), p. 217. Inadvertent inspiration from Helen Keller:
“Although the world is full of suffering,
it is also full of the overcoming of it.”
it is also full of the overcoming of it.”
TFA: Always in the back of my mind.
I received the Best e-mail EVER from TFA today!
I received the Best e-mail EVER from TFA today!
“Since you are halfway across the world, I thought you might be interested to read about Oprah’s recent episode on the new documentary “Waiting for Superman” (the movie trailer gives me chills every time I watch it!). Oprah’s guests—filmmaker Davis Guggenheim, education philanthropist Bill Gates, Chancellor of DC Public Schools and Teach For America alumna Michelle Rhee, and musician John Legend—describe the challenges facing our country’s education system. This film has fueled an important national dialogue about educational inequity and highlights one important piece of the solution – transformational teachers and leaders. It’s exciting to think that you will one day be a part of that solution!”
10/5/2010
Field Trip to Requena, Valencia
Teresa (the Head English Teacher at El Barranquet, who I absolutely adore. She is referred to as “Teacher”, pronounced “Teach-EH-rr”) sporadically invited me on the Kindergarten and 1st Grade Field Trip to Requena. It is such a lovely town! We visited La Casa de la Seda (Old, school BEAUTIFULNESS). The doorways are so tiny. I literally almost hit my head twice. I definitely felt like an ogre for that hour tour. Everything has been preserved so well; it is as if we were living in another era. We also viewed a fascinating video featuring the process of MAKING clothing from step 1 (making thread). If you only knew what goes into making high quality threads.
| Requena |
Teresa also took me to one of the most popular butcher’s in town. It has a really warm, welcoming entrance and smells FANTASTIC in there. I swear, I could have stayed there all day.
We later went to an actual WINE VINEYARD. This was fantastic because I have always wanted to visit one. This place was pretty spectacular. A grape picking competition was held (I ended up going home with about 4 pounds of grapes; the roommates can attest to this). We found encapsulated almonds and walnuts on the ground and were instructed to crack them with any rock we could find. We had a BLAST.
The almonds are absolutely delicious – we all brought a few home with us. This was a great opportunity to really get to know the kids on a first name basis. They LOVE getting their photos taken.
| Look at 'em go! |
Before lunch, we were given a personal tour of a house in the vineyard. It was no surprise to me how well preserved everything was. In some areas of the house it almost as if everything was frozen in time. What an amazing opportunity for the kids to (in one form or another) immerse themselves in the past. I know I appreciated it – really looking at life (at least) 70 to 100 years past really helps one gain perspective. A rolling video was appropriate here. Unfortunately, I did not have enough memory. I guess you’ll just have to come back with me!
It was so interesting learning with my students. Plus, unlimited grapes, almonds and nuts all day was delightful.
| The New and the Old Generations Get Familiar |
| Appreciating the lovely city in which I work! Godella, Spain |
Ruben "el hemisferic abierto: (recuerda, es como un ojo)
Gente por encima del puente de calatrava":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKAZ-TTltf0
After la cena, I decided to explore the city a bit. You guessed it. I wanted to visit the city of Arts and Sciences again. I invited my friend, Ruben, to come along for the walk. This was a fine move on my part because the native Valenciano ended up teaching me a whole lot more than I anticipated. It is like having my own personal guide and Castellano/Valenciano tutor!
| El Rio (An Extensive Park). A true Valencian Gem. |
“No one told you that we are walking on a river? Google earth it – immediately.” So, yes, one of the most beautiful parks I’ve ever seen is referred to as El Rio. I am kind of ashamed for never asking why; at least I was soon informed. Apparently, in the mid 1900s, there was a huge flood in Valencia. (“Don’t worry, no one died. Maybe 1 or 2, but nothing too big”. I found that to be quite comical.)
Hasta aqui llego la riada…
And after the flood, the government decided to build a park over the river. It is amazing. I can not wait to play in Gulliver’s Park* and go running in El Rio. According to Ruben, students go running in the park until 10 PM with no problem. It is very safe and so marvelously lit! “At one point, before the crisis, one could look down on Valencia from a satellite and one could see that it was one of the brightest places in the world”. One of his professors when he studied in Germany purports that he is lucky to live in Valencia because “it is like living in heaven”. I may have to concur, Prof. It’s funny. Ruben did not agree with this professor at the time, but realized upon return from a much darker and colder country how grateful he was to live in this slice of heaven. I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder.
In any case, the park (teeming with runners, bikers, rollerbladers, soccer matches, etc.) leads you straight to “the eye” and Museo de la Ciencias Principe Felipe, all designed by one of the most famous architects in Spain, your friend and mine Mr. Caratrava. Ruben introduced me to a place in the city of Arts and Sciences where you can stand at opposite ends of the area and talk to one another as clearly as if you were speaking on the phone (or on Skype J) The weather has been AMAZING. It was October 5th and it was at least 80 degrees! I will definitely be coming back again (and again), thanks to the Alameda Metro Stop.
10/6/2010 Benidorm, Universitat de Valencia Function
| Benidorm |
Side note: my latest obsession – GAZPACHO. I have Gazpacho at least once a day!
“Gazpacho is a cold raw vegetable soup from southern Spain.
The main ingredients are tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers, garlic olive oil, and usually breadcrumbs or garlic croutons.
The name gazpacho is of Arabic origin and meals 'soaked bread.' Note that 2 of the main ingredients, tomatoes and peppers, were not available until after the discovery of the New World.” (http://www.foodreference.com/html/f-gazpacho.html)
How can you make it for me when I return? =)
No comments:
Post a Comment