Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Zaragoza la Hermosa

“It is about time you started to LIVE like a Spaniard, Adaliss.”

My hosts: Francisco, Miguel & Gabriel
This weekend was FABULOSO! Gaby, my sweet new friend from Valencia, and I arrived in Zaragoza at 12 AM. We actually didn’t go out until 2 AM. We should all be ecstatic to learn that This, my friends, was my very first authentic Spanish Outing. I had SO much fun. I felt safe and the Salsa Club we went to was beautiful. Miguel, you mi amigo, are an amazing dancer. The Dance Academy you attended really paid off! I should be ashamed that, for the first time in my life, I awoke at 1 PM in the afternoon! But I am not - It was rather invigorating! I even prepared brunch for every one!
I am a flutist now!
This is actual Miguel's flute: He plays the flute, clarinet, saxophone and trumpet!.

In a few hours we were off to the boys' concert. I had NO idea that it would be my first RUNNING OF THE BULLS (bullfight), or Corrida de Torros. It was really sweet – It was also the first time for Gaby, a native of Valencia, Spain! I was forced to dress up as one of the musicians (my hosts both have music scholarships) in order to get in! I guess it was rather comical. It is so lovely knowing these Spanish musicians. They have hearts of gold and they really can play

I found it interesting that bullfights are prohibited from Barcelona! (Can you say animal cruelty). Good for you, Barca. I really felt for the animals. Really, it is so sad to me. It is cruel what happens here.
Plaza de Toros de Zaragoza
Early Birds: We arrived 1 hour before the festivities
Regardless, the uniforms are beautiful! I learned a few new terms: Picador, Banderillo, Matador. Thank you so much, Gaby, Miguel and Francisco!

What is a bullfight? 

If you are not familiar to Corridas, you will find here listed chronologically everything that happens. So you may decide by yourself if you want to see it when you are visiting Spain.

A Corrida starts with the paseillo, with everybody involved in the bullfight entering the ring and presenting himself to the public. Two Alguacilillos, on horse's back, direct themselves to the presidency and symbolically ask for the keys to the "puerta de los toriles". Behind that door there are the bulls.

With the door being opened and the first bull entering the ring the spectacle starts. It consists of three parts, called tercios, being separated by horn-signals. There are three toreros in each Corrida, by the way, and each will have to torear two bulls.

In the first tercio the bullfighter uses the capote, a quite large rag of purple and yellow color. Now enter two picadores, on horse's back and armed with a sort of lance.

The second part is la suerte de banderillas. Three banderilleros have to stick a pair of banderillas into the attacking bull's back.

In the final "suerte suprema" the bullfighter uses the muleta, a small red rag. He has to show his faena, his masterity to dominate the bull, and to establish an artistical symbiosis between man and beast. The Corrida ends with the torero killing the bull by his sword. (Source: http://www.red2000.com/spain/toros/)

The gentlemen liked being on National Television
Sunday was quite lovely! I discovered that the Second week of October, around the 12th, is the Festival de Pilar. Zaragoza's largest and most famous festival and, like Semana Santa, has been declared a festival of National Tourist interest by the Spanish government! (It is QUITE beautiful. Find out more about this WONDERFUL festival: http://www.whatzaragoza.com/pilar-festival.html).

 The boys invited to explore the city a bit, though there is MUCH MORE to see.


Paseo Independencia 
"Zaragoza. capial de la Europa diversa"
Spanish Holy Spot Believed to Be Saved by Miracle When Hit By Bombs  



Basilica is believed to be site of the Virgin Mary appearing to the Apostle James. Tradition at the Basilica is to kiss the pillar and rub a ribbon on it as a blessing. [In accordance with tradition, Gabriel and I exchanged ribbons for good fortune!
El Catedral Basilica de la Virgen Pilar

During the Spanish Civil War, three bombs fell on the Basilica del Pilar in Zaragoza, Spain. Two bombs went through the ceiling. Another landed just outside the church. None exploded.
Another theory says that it was a miracle. Today the defused bombs are displayed on a wall inside the basilica. Inside are also priceless art works, including two frescoes by Goya and a pillar believed to be one of the most important religious artifacts in Catholicism.
Las Bombas
Read more at Suite101: Basilica de Pilar in Zaragoza, Spain: Spanish Holy Spot Believed to Be Saved by Miracle When Hit By Bombs http://www.suite101.com/content/basilica-de-pilar-in-zaragoza-spain-a192064#ixzz13Li1BShB
El Catedral, Interior
(There are many more in the Zaragoza album. Hint: Scroll all the way down).
This picture does not do this man justice. Unbelievable!
      La Calle Alfonso I
La imagen de la Ofrenda de Flores de la Virgen Pilar
Bola del Mundo
La Fuenta de Europa

By the way, the Province of Aragon is constituted by Zaragoza, Huesca, Teruel.  Two more to go!
This was a great weekend! Thank you, boys (and Ana!).
Back to Valencia
Showing Off My Medida del Pilar from the Cathedral
Gabriel exchanged these ribbons for good luck. This is an annual tradition and I am honored.

10/23

Just thought I would share an interesting experience I had yesterday. It was the first time I had ever been CRAM PACKED in a metro train. I was so close to complete strangers from all angles. It very much reminded me of a video my father shared with me last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO-A6ZU4Qkw
So yes, on to the meat of this entry. Friday was my first visit to El Palau de Musica, Valencia.
Gaby and I outside El Palau de Musica

It is stunning! Gaby picked up a few tickets to see the internationally renowned, German celloist Daniel Müller-Schott. PLEASE HIM OUT! (http://www.daniel-mueller-schott.com/)! It was unbelievable listening to the soloist and the orchestra live. I could do this every week! Despite the fact that I had conjunctivitis all weekend, I had a phenomenal time.


No comments:

Post a Comment