Monday, January 17, 2011

Bringing in the New Year in MADRID! Ciao, 2010! Bienvenido 2011!


Puera del Sol Sporting a New Look during the Holidays, Madrid
 Happy New Year, Friends and Family!

I am very thankful for the opportunity to have touched base with my parents on New Year's! I caught them in the middle of a Dominos Game (more like a Tournament, but we won't go there). After a fun filled night in Madrid it was nice to hear their voices. Before bidding farewell, I thanked Mom for the beautiful e-card she sent me a few days earlier. I thought I'd share it:
  A New Year Blessing
I hope for you in this new year of [2011]
That the single, most significant dimension of life is your relationship with the Source of Goodness who never ceases to sing love songs to your soul
That you find meaning, purpose, and vitality in what you do daily
That you treasure your loved ones and let them know how dear they are to you
That you make choices and decisions that reflect your truest self
That you look in the mirror at least once a day and smile in happy amazement
That you remember relationships are what count above all else - more than work or money, or all the material things we spend so much time tending
That you live in an uncluttered manner, enjoying the freedom to be content
That you keep your sense of humor when things don’t go the way you want
That you find adventure in each new day and marvel at the wonders of creation
which constantly present themselves to you
That you never give up on yourself when others turn away or do not understand
That you are attentive to the health of your body, mind and spirit
That you take risks and accept the growth-full challenges that come to you
That you draw on your inner strength and resiliency when you are in need
That you carry peace within yourself, allowing it to slip into the hearts of others
so our planet becomes a place where violence, division, and war are no more
© Joyce Rupp



What started out as some random city exploration with fellow Fulbrighter, Rosemarie (Rosamaria) turned out to be a full out “Church and Belen Expedition”. 
One (of MANY a) Belen
We visited more churches and Belen displays (in and out of churches) than anything else in Madrid. I feel like we walked A LOT! Next trip to Madrid will be all about neighboring cities: Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca and El Escorial. 

Pre-New Year’s Eve (Pre-Nochevieja if the word even exists) was extremely fun.
We learned that all of the locals actually go the day before to Puerta del Sol. Needless to say, We took advantage of this tradition to practice for the big day.

The 12 Grape Tradition 

In Spain, it is a tradition to consume (more like stuff into one's mouth as quickly as possible) a single grape for each strike of he clock (before 12 midnight). If done correctly, each grape symbolizes good luck for each month in the new year. In Ecuador, Amber explained that one makes 12 wishes or resolutions for the New Year (formally writes them) and posts them on the wall for good luck. We executed both tasks! [Great opportunity for reflection! Thanks, Amber.]
ARod in the new Year aims to (among other things): 
Disconnect at least 10 minutes each day AND one day a week (no phone, internet, etc.), work on temperance, exercise more, have more patience with self/others, work on sense of direction (Bring Map EVERYWHERE I go), follow intuition, focus!, meditate more, worry less, give more love, increase selflessness, be more honest, give/give/give.

Beforehand, Amber took us all to a LOVELY bar: Mesón de la Guitarra. We had SUCH a blast with the Tunas! 
I have posted a few of the multiple videos I’ve recorded on Facebook. Please feel free to take a gander (Necesita una boca de Gracias) I was actually serenaded (my first time!) They are incredibly talented! (Yes, Pedro, I’m talking about you!)  

  NEW YEAR’S EVE (Nochevieja)  

   Before heading out to El Doblon  (a rather pricey club I must admit, but worth it nevertheless; particularly for a person who seldom goes out.) Chelsea prepared a delicious meal for the four of us!
Appetizer: (Goat Cheese) Stuffed Mushrooms and Tomato a la Chelsea Dixon (our Martha Stewart)
Before feasting, we spent a few moments reflecting on 2010. We each waited for our turn to review the year’s best memories! [Which reminds me of a NEAT video a close friend shared with me].
 It was rejuvenating, to be quite honest. I took an extra minute to formally acknowledge all the great qualities each grantee exhibits on the daily (The initiative that Chelsea takes is incredible: planning apartment gatherings, cooking delicious (Vegetarian) meals, so accommodating. Amber’s spunk, her zeal for life and positivity. Rosemarie’s maturity level, almost angelic way of being and generosity). I couldn’t be more thankful to be with these women on New Year’s (and this year in its entirety, really). I was honored to be in their presence. The Fulbright Review Board did a Spectacular job this year. I'm blessed.
And what a night! 

For those of you who know me well, I am sure you are well aware of how ecstatic I was to see (an estimation of course) 85% of the men in Madrid dressed in suits  – IN SUITS (Suit, Tie, Dress Shoes – The works!) I was in HEAVEN. My goal for the evening was to take as many pictures (12 minimum) with men in suits as possible! I am certain that I reached my goal!
I couldn´t get over the Wigs/Headgear many people were sporting during Nochevieja! Apparently, this is a tradition.
 How could I forget about the beloved ¨King Cake¨ (Roscón or Rosca de Reyes). It´s a hit here in Spain. Rosemarie spoke of it all week! 
Chocolate y Churros at 7 AM. (Let’s celebrate: This was the First time I’ve stayed up until 7 AM while in Spain!)
Documentation of our 7 AM Chocolate & Churros Run
 I am sure every one at the discoteca hit up Churrerias after dancing and drinking all night long! It is a “tradition” after all.


Ah, yes! Thank you, Rosemarie for teaching me how to BOIL chestnuts (castanos). They are EXCELLENT! (One can find venders selling sweet potato and roasted chestnuts on virtually every street corner. They really are delicious! 

We hit up the Rastro ( ) for a few hours, which was quite interesting!
Boatloads of people! Rosemarie and I scored some incredible deals on these simply stunning scarves.
Rosemarie and I were thankful to really explore (probably every facet) of the city. My dear friend was unfortunately the victim of pety theft (thank God nothing else happened) so we opted to just stay in the city for the last few days in favor of saving cash. Madrid’s nearby cities can wait. 
Later, Rosemarie and I up with a sweet Madrileno, Manuel, who we met at El Doblon. He treated us to a decadent crème filled pastry or Pastelleria. Unsurprisingly enough, this place was brimming with locals and tourists alike (indeed, it is strategically located in Puerta del Sol, one of the hottest tourist areas in Spain’s capital). I can’t remember the name for the life of me, but when you see it – you’ll know it.
Met up with Margaux and her beau, Jordan, at the PACKED Chocolatería San Ginés – Madrid
A few days later, I was amazed to come home to the apartment to see our friend, Ruben, cooking three varieties of treats for us!
We love our Spanish friends! 2/3 of the dishes were Vegetarian!
I think I will finish this entry with the two hour Three Kings Day Parade (Cabalgata). It was GREAT. I felt like a kid again!
Rosemarie and I with our Caramelos (the one I am presenting was actually chucked at my face) :-)
Check out the video (team efffort!) 
o      What is the Cabalgata?
§       Mind you, Three Kings Day is One of the most important holidays in Spain!

Three Kings in Valencia

The Ride of Their Majesties the Kings of the East passed through Valencia on January 5, a few hours before Melchor, Gaspar and Baltasar begin to distribute gifts and coal by households in the city of Valencia.

Together with its pages, the Magi distributed sweets, candies, nuts and other treats to children and people who weren't so young who waited on the sidewalk.

The floats distributed small cheap toys and sweets (some suitable for Celiacs).

The route of the procession departed Valencia "Street Justice, to General Palanca, General Tovar, rue de la Paz, Plaza de la Reina, San Vicente Street and City of Valencia"
Source

Ah, How could I forget! I was recently invited to the LEVANTE V. REAL MADRID GAME (MY FIRST PROFESSIONAL SOCCER MATCH). 
Jaime, Tonino (Antonio!), Mitx and Eric
I nearly hyperventilated when my local friends offered me a ticket to the game! It was great! Pipas (Sunflower Seed Shells) were everywhere. People were screaming, chanting, swearing. Forming the "wave" (which I had never participated in before!). I had a BLAST. Thanks, gentlemen!
o      I couldn’t help but document my first professional soccer match EVER – and in Europe, no less! 
 

I've Randomly Decided to Share this with you all! Let's make this our best year yet, shall we? 
The Art of Positive Thinking
A - Avoid negative sources (negative people, negative places, negative things, and negative habits).
B - Believe in yourself.

C - Consider things from every angle.

D - Don't give up and don't give in.

E - Enjoy life today. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come.

F - Family and friends are hidden treasures. Seek them and enjoy their riches.

G - Give more than you plan to give.

H - Hang onto your dreams.

I - Ignore those who try to discourage you.

J - Just do it.

K - Keep on trying. No matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

L - Love yourself first and most.

M - Make it happen.

N - Never lie, never cheat, never steal and always strike a fair deal.

O - Open your eyes and see things as they really are.

p - Practice makes perfect.

Q - Quitters never win and winners never quit.

R - Read, study, and learn about everything important in your life.

S - Stop procrastinating.

T - Take control of your own destiny.

U - Understand yourself in order to better understand others.

V - Visualize.

W - Want it more than anything.

X - "X-celerate" your efforts.

Y - You are unique in all of God's creations. Nothing can replace you.

Z - Zero in on your target and go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment