64 degrees in January. How can you not smile?
Chelsea: “Sandals in January? I’ll take it!” Day at the Valencian Port!
Thank you, HOLAVALENCIA.NET
Surprise message this morning from Chelsea Dixon. Game Plan: El Grau
We had a blast! I was happy to walk down to the beach again! I love exploring this side of Valencia. There is a distinct feeling the Beach side (near the Port, Marvarosa Beach) elicits relative to the touristy city center.
![]() |
| Quiz Time: What is "America's Cup" (Valencia) |
A BEAUTIFUL picnic spot for future day trips (right on the port, no less!)
![]() |
| "Wrong Way, Addie" |
An outdoor gym! (Why pay for a monthly membership when one can run to the beach in JANUARY and utilize workout facilities for free?) I absolutely love health conscious “zonas”/districts.
The adjacent playscape area is quite lovely, as well!
Chelsea even introduced me to a neat café near the Universities on the way back home! After being acquainted we immediately decided we would be stopping by for a visit later that evening.
What a Sunday! City of Xativa with the girl & AMERICAN FOOTBALL on Sunday!
The Latin poet Silius Italicus(101-25BC) in his poem on the ll punic War refers to Saetabis celsa arce, Xativa with its tall castle, so there is proof that a castle exited in Roman times, although a castle stood here in earlier Iberian days. Its strategic value was due t its situation on the via Augustea that began in Rome and crossed the Pyrenees and traveled down the Mediterranean coast before heading on to Cartagena and Cadiz. The grand structure you see these days standing watch over the town is a mixture of Iberian, Roman and Moorish influences and later Christian fortifications.
Xatavia castle with its 30 towers and four fortified gateways, must rate as one of the loveliest in the Valencian Community, not nly because of its historic value but also because of a lot of thought and work has gone into its surroundings. Tinkling fountains, small orange groves, herb gardens that perfume the air, give you a sense of what life must have been like in an important garrison town. (The fountains and gardens aren’t just modern titivations but were an important part of Moorish culture). What is equally impressive is that, standing on the high tower at either end of the long thin castle, you become aware of just how massive an undertaking it was to build such a structure in such an inaccessible place.
~ Thespanishdream.com
![]() |
| Bad Idea to Sample these Olives, huh CD? |
![]() |
| How could you NOT appreciate this? |
Sunday was fantastic. Kudos to Chelsea for taking the initiative to coordinate! The hike was wonderful: not too intense or easy – just right. The scenery was invigorating.
How could you not appreciate la naturaleza when it is simply staring you in the face. Nothing beats fresh air, the acquisition of (a bit of) historical knowledge, the sense of security and good company. (Yes, I know COMMON SENSE, but It definitely pays off to read a bit of literature before arriving to one’s destination.)
There is indeed a whole lot to do in the city of Xativa! I can not believe we only had time to take advantage of its stunning Castle.
If anyone is interested in taking a (totally worthwhile) day trip to Valencia, take a gander.
To end a Spectacular day, I found myself ELATED when Chelsea mentioned the Pats v. Jets game on Sunday Night! I really enjoy American Football! Margaux, Chelsea, Nora and I made our way to a local American Sports Bar where we made quite a few new friends! What a Treat!
![]() |
| Finally Reunited After Nearly One Month Apart! Cheers to Enjoying American Football Across Seas! |
Interesting Note:
I have a few friends who are currently studying at the University here in Valencia. I can’t help but notice marked Differences in the examination arena (well, in comparison to the United States). Actually, my observations have confirmed what International students at UConn had recently shared with me.
At The University level here in Spain (and I imagine in several Western European countries), It’s all about “Crunch time” the last 2-3 weeks of the semester. It doesn’t seem like this in US University life. We have more frequent works/projects (due through out the semester) and exams (that are – quite obviously - worth less than the final exam). Here, there is one MAJOR final exam that is pretty much determines one’s entire grade. Neither is more correct. Just an observation.
Fantastic News!
I have recently applied and have been granted the opportunity to matriculate into the TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course. [Chelsea has actually been committed to this for a few months now!] Luckily, because I am currently teaching, I am permitted to take the “Fast Track” Online Course (60 hours). I am pumped!
A bit about the program:
“ITTP is an Australian/British/Czech/N.American team which is committed to maintaining its high standards of service and professionalism in international Online and Onsite TEFL/TESOL certification training courses. With clear aims and objectives combined with a highly professional and personal touch we are among the market leaders in this global educational field.
Our international team structure is an essential positive communication factor between our trainees and trainers/tutors and administrative team/team leaders.”
Our international team structure is an essential positive communication factor between our trainees and trainers/tutors and administrative team/team leaders.”
I also can't get over Chelsea´s Trip to Morrocco. It seemed rather incredible. I am considering visiting again (Saad I may take you up on your offer!)
Just a bit of inspiration to add to your day!










No comments:
Post a Comment