Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My First Visit to "the City of Love"



After almost 10 hours of travel (Pamplona to Madrid; Madrid to Valencia via train & finally from Valencia to Paris via – your friend and mine – Ryan Air), I was slightly exhausted, but nevertheless ECSTATIC to have finally arrived in Paris.

Two days later, I’m back up in the air recounting an incredible weekend..

Marc and Haejin. I am a BIG fan.
I CAN NOT believe we made this flight, in all honesty. I made it with literally one minute left to spare. In fact, both times I was cutting it extremely short! I swear I have angels…and/or perhaps I am just extremely lucky sometimes. Fortunately, we were able to recruit Marc’s incredible girlfriend (Sweet, Charismatic, Freelance Artist & Native of SAN FRANCISCO), Haejin. 
She gave me GREAT advice re: my upcoming to the Bay. Apparently, I will be looking into living in “Mission” and CERTAINLY NOT Tenderloin (“TL”) for housing soon. As if it weren’t crazy enough that Marc’s girlfriend is from San Francisco, I was definitely “flipando” when HE nonchalantly enlightened me of his forthcoming move to San Francisco! What?!

In any case, for those of you looking to book your flight to this incredible city PLEASE (I beg you) DO NOT fly into Paris Beauvais unless you have a benevolent friend to come collect you J The miniscule airport (well, relative to Barajas and even VLC) is ONE hour from our magical destination. Poor Marc, a world traveler himself, who by the way is the former “student” and current lifetime crony of mutual friend, Fritz Chery. Yes, he is a sweetheart. I recognize this is quite the understatement, but I am sure you get the picture.

Meet Marc Simon! Indeed, he is "The Man", Fritz.
Meet Marc Simon: One of the most down-to-Earth individuals I’ve ever met. What a GREAT host and Cultural Embassador!

This week has been NON STOP; no regrets here despite supreme exhaustion, which I mostly attribute to general travel. Needless to say, 2 days (..or was it “2 weeks”, Marc?) in Paris is simply NOT enough. I can’t even begin to think of the number of full days I would need to fully appreciate all of the expositions offered at The Louvre & oh my goodness, all of the Museums! I MUST give my host an immense amount of credit – We quite literally covered a lot of ground within the past few days. “You make me walk SO much, Addie.

A few favorite memories: (I am undeniably smitten.)

The Arc de Triumph
Open Market: (I love these!) Fruit was MUCH pricier. I appreciate Valencia veggies and fruit prices! 
 I’d never seen so many types of cheese in my life! 

DELICIOUS PITA!
Jewish Quarter: Highly recommened by Margaux and Haejin!  How much I miss Hummus & Babaganoush!! My goal is to learn how to make these dishes before I leave Europe. A must.

stumbled upon a PAELLA Stand in the middle of Paris

Guess who!?

ALMOST THERE - on the way up to Montmarte (Personal Favorite).
It was indeed a hike.
Akim, the "Moroccan Prince", and I

-           











One could spend a MONTH just visiting The Louvre!
The Renowned Notre Dame (Am I the only one who immediately thinks of the Disney Movie?)
-         
Is this not the most beautiful "garden" you've ever seen, people?
I realized more than ever in France that I definitely do not have the “knack” for learning languages, particularly French. Me cuesta mucho.  My French teacher in elementary school would NOT be pleased. No, she would be ashamed! Sorry Akim and Marc. I tried! J And Don’t you worry, I will continue practicing (“ooo”/ “ouu”).
I couldn’t be more grateful. 
Thank you millionfold, Marc, Fritz, Heijin and Akim!

2 comments:

  1. addie you are NOT the only one who thinks of the disney movie at ND... i sat there for i think an hour waiting for quazzimoto!

    and did you just write 3 blogs in a day recapping 3 months? go girlfriend

    ReplyDelete