"Don't forget to celebrate your birthday a la Rodriguez (all month). [Proceeds to insert 5 different emoticons]"
- Papichulo, April 15 2011
- Papichulo, April 15 2011
![]() |
| A mere snippet of what happens at Family Birthdays/Gatherings. |
![]() |
| Yes, indeed. Lots of Hugging! |
Before I begin my account of one of the best birthdays I've had yet, I feel compelled to briefly explain my father's seemingly odd instructions. Indeed, at the Rodriguez homestead, we are firm believers in celebrating our birthdays for more than a single day. It's fantastic! One year, I received a card in the mail every single day for one week building up to my birthday. We typically have a family dinner gathering during which my entire extended family comes to celebrate, followed by a dinner celebration with just my immediate family and then several individual or group gatherings!
There is a lot singing, hugging, dancing, domino and guitar playing, laughing, making-fun-of-Addie going on during these event. Material things ($, formal gift giving) is a trivial part of these events. Bring an appetizer or dessert to share with every one and we're set! I think we just need an excuse to celebrate and play Celia Cruz.
Yes, so on to our most recent celebration: La Viejita's 23rd birthday. Oh, how I relish in the fact that I am referred to as the little old lady at the ripe age of 23.
![]() |
| "You look very Boriqua This Evening". Very Interesting Comment, Ms. D. |
I impulsively decided to organize a Wine and Cheese Party (Neither of which I actually consume, unless the later is lactose free) the week before my actual birthday so Nora (who would be performing in Zaragoza with her band the following week) could enjoy the festivities. This was a beautiful way to kick off My Birthday Month.
![]() |
| My Birthday Cake! A Package Of Tofu! I TRULY COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! =) |
It was great! I was taken aback by the level of initiative Chelsea demonstrated (the woman made a series of scrumptious appetizers for our guests.) Needless to say her works of art and Larry's Spinach Artichoke dip were devoured in microseconds. Nearly all guests contributed, bringing a little something (a drink, a snack, a PACKAGE OF TOFU - thanks, Katie!)
I couldn't be happier to see every one together: Local Friends, fellow Fulbrighters, friends of friends! Sorry for the Ruckus, Pepita (our assertive little vecino).
I couldn't be happier to see every one together: Local Friends, fellow Fulbrighters, friends of friends! Sorry for the Ruckus, Pepita (our assertive little vecino).
A brief look at our formal Facbeook invite. (Un poco Gracioso, no?)
Why are we randomly hosting a Wine & Cheese party? Well, in light of a few special events coming up (i.e. Patricia, Fred and Adaliss' Birthdays), I figure we have a WONDERFUL excuse to host a little get together.
Game Plan:
Why are we randomly hosting a Wine & Cheese party? Well, in light of a few special events coming up (i.e. Patricia, Fred and Adaliss' Birthdays), I figure we have a WONDERFUL excuse to host a little get together.
Game Plan:
- 'Pre-party' festivities at the apartment. Attire:
- Wine, Cheese and Fruit Platters Welcome!
- -1 AM departure for our Evening Outing [Very Spanish of us]
- 12 PM Beach Picnic/Party. Time for some R&R (Rest and Relaxation) and a little bit of fun. Volleyballs, Soccer balls, Tennis, Sunblock. Boom Box Any one? Bring it all.
Warning: Dance-offs MAY (nay, are likely to) take place.
I can't wait to see you there!
I can't wait to see you there!
We also offered the invitation in Spanish!
Translation Services: Complements to Don Ruben.
¿Por qué vamos a dar una "Wine&Cheese party"? os preguntareis. Bueno, aprovechando que se acercan un par de fechas importantes (los cumples de Adaliss y Patricia), hemos pensado que es una excelente excusa para reunirnos.
El plan:
El plan:
- Pre-party en el apartamiento para ir calentando: Vino, queso y fruta variados serán bienvenidos!
- 1 AM salimos de fiesta
- A la mañana siguiente, picnic-party en la playa, para relajarnos pero también para jugar. Traed balones de voley o fútbol, crema para el sol y radio si tenéis!
Puede que haya duelos de bailes... bueno, seguro!
Os espero!
Os espero!
![]() |
| Chelsea's generous AM treat! |
On my actual birthday (the following week), I was so happy to wake to a number of e-mails and (thanks to Google Voice) voicemails from family and friends hailing from home! As if my roommates weren't sweet enough, Chelsea even prepared and shared an "Addie-friendly" cake (lactose free carrot cake: carrots, raisins, walnuts, coconut and pineapple drizzled with a Greek Yoghurt Glaze! You ain't seen nothing yet, people!)
![]() |
| After being RUSHED DOWN TO EL COMEDOR because I am "always arriving late", I was surprised by a chanting arrangement of our school faculty/staff! Mmm, an Apple Tart-like Treat from Teresa :-) |
So I thought the formal celebrating was over..until I arrived at school to help the kids with their Pen Pal Letters to eagers US students!
I couldn't believe it! It's all a (pleasant) blur, really. Between the classes of students and faculty/staff singing Happy Birthday in Valencian, Castellano and English and the assortment of cake and dessert I was forced to bring home, I'm not sure if I could have felt more special on my Birthday. I may have cried (a few times).
I couldn't believe it! It's all a (pleasant) blur, really. Between the classes of students and faculty/staff singing Happy Birthday in Valencian, Castellano and English and the assortment of cake and dessert I was forced to bring home, I'm not sure if I could have felt more special on my Birthday. I may have cried (a few times).
![]() |
| How could you expect us to forget your Birthday, Adaliss? - Carla, 14 year old ESL learner future microbiologist. Best SALMOREJO CORDOBES ever! |
That was until I came home to the Three Stooges receiving me at the door, singing Happy Birthday and Feliz Cumpleanos (I wish I documented this). I was in for a bit treat when I returned home. In the mean time, I was off to tutoring for the next few hours. I couldn't believe and would never expect the upcoming surprises.
![]() |
| I said it before and I'll save it again. CHELSEA DIXON is not human. Let's make clones. |
The night wasn't over JUST YET. I came home to Chelsea laboring in the kitchen. Superwoman was preparing an authentic Moroccan meal for the evening! I couldn't help but salivate merely looking at the meal! Everything was MARVELOUS: Healthy, wonderfully spiced and and cooked to perfection. And most importantly, made with LOVE.
![]() |
| Oh look! IT'S HER! |
I feel all too fortunate to have such an amazing network of ongoing and limitless love and support both at home and abroad. Thank you millionfold for all you do, every one! It'll never go unmerited!
And Now on to Semana Santa and to our ('Spring Break' of sorts) trip with my fellow Profesoras de Fulbright! Stay posted!













Sounds like you had a really awesome birthday celebration. We will have to continue it when you get back.
ReplyDelete